Thursday, June 15, 2006

What's Growin' On: 6/15/06


Wild Gooseberries At The Edge Of The Hayfield



Ripening Gooseberries

Realization Of The Day:
Gooseberries are gorgeous. But I still haven't acquired a taste for them. (Or found a recipe that doesn't call for burying them in a pile of sugar.)

We are obviously in the midst of berry season on the farm. I have a few late strawberries in the garden, wild black rasberries, wild gooseberries, and mulberries in the hayfield. In a few short weeks hopefully the patches of wild blackberries scattered about the farm will be brimming with deep, dark fruit. And yesterday I picked up the five gallons (!) of organic blueberries I pre-ordered last January from a local small grower.

So what did I have for breakfast this morning? A slice of homemade apple pie of course.

3 comments:

  1. Oh YES! Thank you for telling me what these are - I've just discovered some growing in the fields where I live (I'm new to PA), and I assumed that they were some type of grape. If I find any recipes not calling for a mountain of sugar, I'll drop you a line.

    Happy berrying,
    JLB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, i just discover your blog,
    i wish to know gardening like this. I wish you can get the picture of the whole vegetable garden.
    We are starting herb plant collection...thanks for sharing your garden

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another awesome blog! Thanks for sharing your garden - I'm JUST starting to learn about gardening myself! Luckily for me my fiance has been a farmer all his life and knows a thing or two about gardens. But my goal is to learn how to garden MYSELF hehe!! I figured out how to put up pics on my forum and I hope to also share gardening pics once I get going. I am saving up for a greenhoose since not many things can grow ootside in Orkney!!
    I deffinately enjoy your blogs. Very nice!! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

March 2013 update: My apologies for the inconvenience - I know word verification is a pain - but I've had to turn it on to help stop the ridiculous number of anonymous spam comments I've been getting every day. Thanks for your understanding.

Welcome to InMyKitchenGarden.com! Thanks so much for taking the time to write. While I'm not always able to reply to every comment, I receive and enjoy reading them all.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I especially love to hear about what's going on in your own garden. I know, too, that other readers also delight in reading about your garden successes, failures, helpful tips, and lessons learned. Feel free to leave comments on older posts!

I try my best to answer all questions, but sometimes it takes me a few days to get to them. And sometimes, I'm sorry to say, they fall through the cracks, and for that I sincerely apologize.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope you enjoy your visits to my kitchen garden!