Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Will Green Tomatoes Ripen Indoors? Yes!

Green Tomato Harvest 10-17-09
Not to worry—you can pick green tomatoes and ripen them indoors, off the vine.

How was your tomato season? Ours was pretty disappointing, and while I'm already making plans for a bigger and better tomato crop next year (build sturdier cages, get plants in the ground earlier, pray for a cooler June!), I haven't written this one off completely yet.

My six late planted Roma tomato plants are finally loaded with fat green fruit, and the fresh tomato-crazed gardener in me refuses to give up.

October is often fairly mild here in southern Missouri, so I'm going to hold out for a while in the hopes that some of them will ripen on the vine—or at least until I get tired of covering them (as well as my other 15 tomato plants and all of the basil) with floating row cover and old bed sheets each night to protect them from the cold. (Why is it only windy on autumn nights, not summer nights when you're drenched in sweat, wishing for even a hint of breeze?)

If you're ready to call it tomato quits for the season, don't despair over all those green ones still out on the vine. My most popular post this time of year is How To Ripen Green Tomatoes Indoors the Really Easy Way—and it really is easy.

© FarmgirlFare.com, loving autumn on the farm and thrilled to be picking tomatoes, no matter what the color.

5 comments:

  1. I used to just "chuck" the green tomatoes at the end of the season into the compost pile, because, frankly, even though they ripened inside, the taste just wasn't "as good". Well, one day , it occured to me that it was still WAY BETTER than any grocery store tomato........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan,

    I too hope it stays warm enough for the green tomatoes to ripen on the vine! The growing season was so pitiful this year that I would like to at least savor the few tomatoes that are hanging on my plants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our crop here is about to get pulled since it's been raining a bit and the plants are looking haggard.

    But that green tomato relish is TOTALLY happening with whatever's left.

    Just have to get my canner back from a friend. Why do I loan that thing out? I'm out of my damn mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made several batches of green tomato ketchup. Super easy just time consuming. I just couldn't see them go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the confidence to just let mine ripen indoors on a drying rack without any special contraptions--they did! And now we have fabulous tomato sauce all frozen for the winter.

    ReplyDelete

March 2013 update: My apologies for the inconvenience - I know word verification is a pain - but I've had to turn it on to help stop the ridiculous number of anonymous spam comments I've been getting every day. Thanks for your understanding.

Welcome to InMyKitchenGarden.com! Thanks so much for taking the time to write. While I'm not always able to reply to every comment, I receive and enjoy reading them all.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I especially love to hear about what's going on in your own garden. I know, too, that other readers also delight in reading about your garden successes, failures, helpful tips, and lessons learned. Feel free to leave comments on older posts!

I try my best to answer all questions, but sometimes it takes me a few days to get to them. And sometimes, I'm sorry to say, they fall through the cracks, and for that I sincerely apologize.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope you enjoy your visits to my kitchen garden!