Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Recipe: How To Make Your Own Homemade V8 Juice (Vegetable Tomato Juice)

Homemade Vegetable Tomato Juice (like V8 juice) 2 - FarmgirlFare.com
A cool and refreshing way to drink your vegetables (recipe here)

I have a sheep farmer friend who swears by Campbell's V8 juice when working out in the heat. She says it's more rejuvenating than drinking water or Gatorade and literally makes the difference between wanting to keel over and being able to keep going for hours.

This is the kind of stuff I need to know.

What could be even better than V8? Homemade V8! Or in this case V4, though I suppose it's technically V3 if you count the parsley as an herb and not a vegetable. Either way, this easy to make vegetable tomato juice will blow that V8 away. Did you know V8 is mostly made from water and tomato paste?

It definitely helps when you're outside slogging away, and it tastes refreshing and delicious.

To make this healthy, flavorful juice, all you do is chop everything up and toss it into a pot, then put it through a food mill. (I love my Oxo Good Grips food mill.) It's the perfect way to make use of overripe, imperfect, or just plain ugly tomatoes, which you can sometimes find for a deal at farmers' markets.

And thankfully you don't have to be sweating to enjoy it.

Would you rather have your refreshing summer vegetables raw? Check out my quick and easy gazpacho recipe. You just blend everything up, chill, slurp, and say Ahhhh.

© FarmgirlFare.com, where the plants in the garden are so heat-stressed (despite watering at least once a day), even they could probably use a slug of juice.

4 comments:

  1. Mary from MadisonAugust 17, 2012 8:33 AM

    No slugs. Please no slugs....
    Hope you are feeling better and the weather breaks soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks for this. As often as I juice it's actually never occurred to me to make my own "V8". I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am told that the summer drink of choice amongst the flyfisherfolk of Montana is a beverage called "red beer". Clamato and a light lager beer in a 1:1 ratio. I'm not a fan of clamato, but I LOVE V8, so ... well, you know what I do. I take half a glass of V8, spike it with tabasco and black pepper to taste, and top it off with a nice light (not "lite" --- please) lager. It sounds really strange, but it tastes really good, and it is an excellent thirst quencher when you are sweating by the bucket as you are weeding or harvesting in the heat of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always looking for homemade recipes for popular food items and herb mixes to help reduce the salt intake. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete