Sunday, July 02, 2006

What's Growin' On: 7/2/06


Bear Relaxes In The Shade Of The Giant Golden Roma Tomato Plants

Realization Of The Day:
The mysterious Golden Roma tomato plants are looking fabulous. It's hard believe these happy, healthy monsters are the same pathetic seedlings I wrote about back in May. I'm so glad I didn't toss them into the compost pile, especially since I'm not sure how many San Marzano paste tomatoes I'm going to end up with this year, what with the garden identity crisis and all. It will be interesting to see what these tomatoes taste like.



The Plants Are Loaded With Fruits, Too

Compost & sheep manure--that's my Miracle Grow!

From Garden To Table:
Not much besides baby Swiss Chard & baby Nero di Toscana cabbage for salads--it's been too hot to eat, let alone cook. (This happens every single year.) But there are scads of gorgeous Straight 'N' Narrow and Dragon Langerie beans that need to be harvested now, my experimental spring green garlic is beyond ready to eat, and the first beets are practically screaming to be picked. Then there's all that beautiful volunteer basil that needs to be dealt with very, very soon. I'm going to have to start going to bed and then getting up and eating dinner at midnight once it's finally cooled down.

Rabbit Report:
That chomping, cotton-tailed cutiepie most definitely lives in my garden. I was out watering, admiring the Golden Roma tomatoes I'd just written about, and I turned around to see Cary and the bunny practically grazing next to each other! It did have the courtesy to hop through the fence and into the grassy area behind the garden, where it sat and sat and sat and then started casually nibbling on a blade of grass--totally ignoring all my attempts to frighten it away (mostly so I could get a photo of its little white tail). No response at all. I told you nothing is afraid of me. Geez, I even barked at it. (Which brought Lucky Buddy Bear out from his den under the house to investigate, and I swear he sat down right where the rabbit had been and laughed at me.)

2 comments:

  1. Now that's a tomatoplant, make sure it doesn't eat Bear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steven,
    You never know what might happen in this garden. . .

    Hi Sandy,
    Do you mean the link to the place I bought my lettuce seeds? The majority (if not all--I'd have to go back and check) of my lettuce seeds I planted this year came from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. There's a permanent link to them in the sidebar, or click here. If this isn't what you were looking for, let me know.

    ReplyDelete

March 2013 update: My apologies for the inconvenience - I know word verification is a pain - but I've had to turn it on to help stop the ridiculous number of anonymous spam comments I've been getting every day. Thanks for your understanding.

Welcome to InMyKitchenGarden.com! Thanks so much for taking the time to write. While I'm not always able to reply to every comment, I receive and enjoy reading them all.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I especially love to hear about what's going on in your own garden. I know, too, that other readers also delight in reading about your garden successes, failures, helpful tips, and lessons learned. Feel free to leave comments on older posts!

I try my best to answer all questions, but sometimes it takes me a few days to get to them. And sometimes, I'm sorry to say, they fall through the cracks, and for that I sincerely apologize.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope you enjoy your visits to my kitchen garden!