Sunday, October 14, 2012

How To Ripen Green Tomatoes Indoors the Really Easy Way

Green Tomato Harvest 10-17-09
Will green tomatoes ripen after picking them? Yes!

Have you had your first frost yet? Ours was a little early this year, and we've even had one 24 degree morning. When the forecast called for several nippy nights in a row last week, I went through the garden and picked all the remaining green tomatoes from my plants, most of which didn't really start putting on fruit until our summer-long heat wave finally broke in September.

I ended up with about 40 pounds of green tomatoes, and in just one week, a bunch of them have already turned red.

Wondering what to do with your green tomatoes? You're not alone. The most popular post on In My Kitchen Garden right now is How To Ripen Green Tomatoes Indoors the Really Easy Way—and it really is easy.

If you'd rather celebrate their greenness instead, check out my super popular Salsa-Like, No Sugar Green Tomato Relish Recipe, which is the number one post right now on Farmgirl Fare.

© FarmgirlFare.com, slightly immature but with plenty of potential.

4 comments:

  1. Great Post! I was thinking as I went to the link, "I just put mine someplace and wait." Why do others think more trouble is worth the effort?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your posting , good to hear about the exploits of others with their crops of geen tomatoes. I live in England , and our summer has been mixed to say the least. I grew about 10 vines in my garden , facing where they get the sun for as much of the day as possible. I had a great crop, they were all different varieties from cherry to ordinary , yellow and big beef ones. They all conveniently ripened in different stages keeping up with our eating needs. I only have a few left which are green now. But I planted some vines in my brother's garden a bit later than mine , and they have yielded a huge crop .. all of which are now really large.. but still green. What I am planning to do is put them in a couple of seperated layers in card boxes maybe with a banana in there for good luck. Hopefully they will ripen in stages also. Happy Growing to you. Ian , Essex, England.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nooooooooooo! Don't ripen ALL of your green tomatoes! A friend gave me a Green Tomato Garlic Chili recipe that I liked so much, I chopped and froze the rest of my green tomatoes to make it later during winter. Well, the little ones are ripening on the counter for the composting pigs. Try it! http://www.farmfreshfeasts.com/2012/10/slow-cooker-green-tomato-garlic-chili.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made 4 batches of you Salsa-Like, No Sugar Green Tomato Relish Recipe yesterday. I made it for the first time last year and its my #1 MUST DO list for green tomatoes, which I have a boatload of. (Gardeners Delight large cherry tomatoes that volunteer after planting them once.)

    I may wind up making another 4 batches before Im done.. its the tastiest stuff. It reminds me so much of salsa verde.. Yummm! Great in & on anything & everything. Its the BEST!!

    ReplyDelete

March 2013 update: My apologies for the inconvenience - I know word verification is a pain - but I've had to turn it on to help stop the ridiculous number of anonymous spam comments I've been getting every day. Thanks for your understanding.

Welcome to InMyKitchenGarden.com! Thanks so much for taking the time to write. While I'm not always able to reply to every comment, I receive and enjoy reading them all.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I especially love to hear about what's going on in your own garden. I know, too, that other readers also delight in reading about your garden successes, failures, helpful tips, and lessons learned. Feel free to leave comments on older posts!

I try my best to answer all questions, but sometimes it takes me a few days to get to them. And sometimes, I'm sorry to say, they fall through the cracks, and for that I sincerely apologize.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope you enjoy your visits to my kitchen garden!