Tuesday, September 11, 2007

What's Growin' On 9/11/07:
Welcoming Autumn With Open Arms


Sedum Autumn Joy Flowers Change Color As The Weeks Go By

Realization Of The Day:
And just like that summer ended.

What a change! It's like I went to bed last night and woke up in another season.

Yesterday was 84 degrees, hot and humid and still. Sweat poured down my face and biting insects attacked as I transformed one of the 4-foot by 8-foot raised garden beds from weed choked nightmare into beautiful bare ground so I can
sow seeds for fall greens. (That always feels so good, doesn't it?)

At dusk I had a sudden urge (brought on, no doubt, by the pound of leftover
pizza dough in the fridge) to harvest the bulk of my basil patch, and last night found me whizzing up two batches of my favorite pesto and swooning over freshly baked tomato pesto pizza long past the hour that will soon mark my bedtime.

This morning dawned cool and crisp and breezier than it's been in weeks. The air conditioner in my little office has been finally turned off, and the windows are wide open. Tonight it's supposed to drop down into the 40s. Autumn is blowing in, and I am welcoming her with open arms.

It's
happy hour in the garden. Cheers!

Want to see more?
You'll find all sorts of butterflies and other pollinators here. More flower photos can be found here.

© 2007
FarmgirlFare.com, the award-winning blog where Farmgirl Susan shares stories & photos of her crazy country life on 240 remote Missouri acres.

5 comments:

  1. Just a word of cheer--thrilled to see "In My kitchen..." active again. I've been wading through all those old posts on fall gardening for a month--waiting for it to cool enough to put fall things in the ground. All my little seedlings are lined up like so many airplanes on a runway on my back deck where it's somewhat shaded. Our average high in August was 97 and it's still been hitting the mid-90s most days in Sept. Some of my vegies are outgrowing their little pots and I lost the labels and can't tell the purple sprouting broccoli from the collard greens, but other than that and a few worm bites, they're hanging in there.

    And now planting day is finally in sight. Today it's cooler-- all the way down to ... 84! Yep, your hot is our cool down here in South Carolina.

    I'll be putting up the frame for the mini-greenhouse (thanks for the instructions)over my raised beds by week's end, but draping it with shade cloth for awhile yet.

    Let's hope fall gardening is a good bit easier than spring and summer's been this year. Whatever, it's always full of wonders....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this time of year! Preserving the glut of vegetables we have produced in our garden. You just reminded me, I must make some more pesto. I freeze it into ice cube trays. I like mine with extra garlic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Farm Girl .. you should know you are my idol.. if I every worry that I'm crazy doing this farming thing... I just go to your blog : )

    ...in the category of garden stories .. thought I'd share a link about cabbage I grew and the recipe that followed...
    http://oregonfarm.blogspot.com/2007/09/why-my-horse-is-like-cabbage.html

    I LOVE your blog keep on keepin' on .. your fellow "designer gone farm girl in Oregon..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture, the monarch butterflies are all over my sedum right now and I keep forgetting to take a picture.

    ReplyDelete

March 2013 update: My apologies for the inconvenience - I know word verification is a pain - but I've had to turn it on to help stop the ridiculous number of anonymous spam comments I've been getting every day. Thanks for your understanding.

Welcome to InMyKitchenGarden.com! Thanks so much for taking the time to write. While I'm not always able to reply to every comment, I receive and enjoy reading them all.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I especially love to hear about what's going on in your own garden. I know, too, that other readers also delight in reading about your garden successes, failures, helpful tips, and lessons learned. Feel free to leave comments on older posts!

I try my best to answer all questions, but sometimes it takes me a few days to get to them. And sometimes, I'm sorry to say, they fall through the cracks, and for that I sincerely apologize.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope you enjoy your visits to my kitchen garden!