Wednesday, October 04, 2006

What's Growin' On: 10/4/06


Freshly Picked

Welcome new visitors! Click here for a brief introduction to this site--and to learn why it's not just for gardeners.

Realization Of The Day:
Fall salad greens are gorgeous.

This mix includes Batavian Full Heart Endive, Red Russian Kale, Detroit Beet Greens, Bull's Blood Beet Greens (the dark reddish purple leaves), Swiss Chard, & Nero di Toscana cabbage. Everything was direct seeded back on August 8th. There are several other fall greens doing well in the garden and the greenhouse. Since I'm growing varieties that are both heat and cold tolerant, the crazy weather we've had these past few weeks (frost warnings follwed by a record breaking 88 degrees two days ago) hasn't killed off or harmed the plants in any way. Even the lettuce I started are heat tolerant varieties, but since the leaves are still so small, I doubt this brief heatwave would have turned them bitter even if they weren't.

Note: Due to some really irritating technical difficulties involving my dial-up connection and Blogger, I'm taking an unplanned break from blogging for a while. Until I get things straightened out, I will post periodically if and when I am able. Click here if you'd like more details.

I hope to be back blogging on a regular basis soon! In the meantime, if you don't feel like constantly popping by to see if anything new has sprouted here, I invite you to subscribe to In My Kitchen Garden via email. Just enter your email address in the box at the top right of this page and click on 'Subscribe Me!' You will then receive all new In My Kitchen Garden posts via email.

Thanks for all your support and wonderful comments over these past months. I'm so glad I started this companion blog to Farmgirl Fare, as I have really enjoyed sharing information and getting to know you and your gardens. And as we head into the slower pace of autumn, I look forward to catching up on all those things that went on in the garden this summer that I haven't had a chance to write about yet.

6 comments:

  1. I've greatly appreciated your blog. We put our second annual vegetable garden in this year, and I've learned a lot from you!

    I hope your technical difficulties clear up soon. I, too, only have access to dial up at home and it is very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those salad greens are very easy on the eye, farmgirl. Hope you'll be back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SOOOO jealous of your lettuce! Well, your garden in general.

    Picked up the CSA bag today and realized there was winter squash and only a few tomatoes. And the seasons they go round and round...

    Not that fall is such a bad thing, but I am going to miss my huge salads and look at this picture a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you are taking a break as I only recently discovered you! But I understand, get the bugs out and come back streamlined and refreshed. beautiful sald greens by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful little greens!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my first visit to your blog. i've already copied the photo "make gardens not war" for my husband who, as we say in French, has "a green hand".I like your tone and your life, I should like your recipes.

    ReplyDelete

March 2013 update: My apologies for the inconvenience - I know word verification is a pain - but I've had to turn it on to help stop the ridiculous number of anonymous spam comments I've been getting every day. Thanks for your understanding.

Welcome to InMyKitchenGarden.com! Thanks so much for taking the time to write. While I'm not always able to reply to every comment, I receive and enjoy reading them all.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I especially love to hear about what's going on in your own garden. I know, too, that other readers also delight in reading about your garden successes, failures, helpful tips, and lessons learned. Feel free to leave comments on older posts!

I try my best to answer all questions, but sometimes it takes me a few days to get to them. And sometimes, I'm sorry to say, they fall through the cracks, and for that I sincerely apologize.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope you enjoy your visits to my kitchen garden!