Friday, March 31, 2006

After The Storm



Yesterday's weather was just plain weird. Unseasonably hot (upper 70s), so windy that at one point I caught myself staring up at the hillside of leafleses trees above the barn, wondering how it could sound like a gigantic waterfall. Stormclouds blew across the sky at record speeds. A few of them finally slowed down in the middle of the night--long enough to drop a fair amount of rain on the farm, waking me with the comforting sound of raindrops splattering onto our old tin roof.

This morning the sunshine is brighter than bright, all of the new spring green is thirstily slurping up the much needed moisture, and the birds are on full-blown chirp. It's one of those days where you know that if you just slow down for a minute, you'll actually be able to see the grass grow. But with onion sets to plant, a newborn baby in the barn, and a laundry line just crying out to be filled with crisp, clean sheets billowing in the breeze, who has time to slow down?

4 comments:

  1. Not you my dear!! You are a busy woman, and that is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our rainy weather out here continues. I'm so annoyed--still can't plant. I worry about the farmers out here who will need to start their own plantings too. The soil is so saturated it can't absorb any more rain. Maybe our record making storm of yesterday will come your way. Don't know if that would be good or bad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waterfall? Sure it wasn't a train sound? From my experience in AL & KS, strangely warm weather brought out tornado trackers, or at least good thunderstorms. Nothing like the smell of rain in the midwest. Thanks for visiting my garden too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel,
    Now if there had been roses involved, I would have stopped dead in my tracks. : )

    Hi Sher,
    It is definitely annoying when the weather does not cooperate with our plans for the garden (something with which I am all too familiar, LOL). Oh, by the way--I think we received your storm last night. Wow, what a noisy downpour. But everything seems to have survived, including one rather soggy donkey. : )

    Hi P's Gardener,
    Now if that had been a train I heard, it would have been even more amazing, as I think the nearest train tracks are about 50 miles from here. It was definitely bizarre. But neat.

    We are fortunate to be in a forested, hilly area, so most of the tornados that come through break up before they get very close. No, there is nothing like the smell of fresh rain! Right up there with ocean breezes. . .

    ReplyDelete

March 2013 update: My apologies for the inconvenience - I know word verification is a pain - but I've had to turn it on to help stop the ridiculous number of anonymous spam comments I've been getting every day. Thanks for your understanding.

Welcome to InMyKitchenGarden.com! Thanks so much for taking the time to write. While I'm not always able to reply to every comment, I receive and enjoy reading them all.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I especially love to hear about what's going on in your own garden. I know, too, that other readers also delight in reading about your garden successes, failures, helpful tips, and lessons learned. Feel free to leave comments on older posts!

I try my best to answer all questions, but sometimes it takes me a few days to get to them. And sometimes, I'm sorry to say, they fall through the cracks, and for that I sincerely apologize.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope you enjoy your visits to my kitchen garden!